GMDSS Training Course
The Global Maritime Distress and Safety System (GMDSS) is an international system which uses terrestrial and satellite technology and ship-board communication equipment for alerting shore based rescue authorities and other ships in the immediate vicinity in the event of a marine distress. It is therefore essential that the relevant officers on board are familiar with its capabilities and know how to use it in an emergency.
- This course is intended for all deck officers who may be required to use GMDSS.
Users will acquire the knowledge required to comply with current regulations and will be familiar with the system's capabilities. They will be provided with a record of this training.
- STCW Section B-IV/2 and the GMDSS Manual, 2011 Edition
- Supporting international standards of training on GMDSS (IMO Model Course, Number 1.25) this course provides the underpinning knowledge required for the effective use of GMDSS equipment.
- This distance learning course will prepare users for certification at a recognised nautical college where use of specific equipment must be demonstrated. It has been revised as outlined in STCW Section B-IV/2 and the GMDSS Manual, 2011 edition.
- The course can also be used as a refresher course for experienced officers
After completing each Module, there is a test that will enable you to check your knowledge. These interactive tests are taken online and the scores are recorded to our secure online database. There is also provision to print test certificates for your records. The test completion certificates should be printed and authenticated* by a supervisor before being submitted to Videotel.